Re: HP JetDirect?

On Tue, 27 May 1997, [ISO-8859-1] Mika Marjamäki wrote:

> And does anyone have any experience on configuring Debian to use printers
> that are attached to a HP JetDirect EX Plus3? I think it can share the
> printers with lpd-protocol, but I didn't get it working..:(

I have set up an HP JetDirect (I don't know if it isEX Plus3 but I think
not) lpr queue on a linux box.  It worked fine right away and I was able
to export it to Windows95 machines using samba.

The printcap entry is below

ls178_hp4m|First Floor Department LaserJet:\
         :lp=/dev/null:\
         :rm=198.37.24.188:\
         :rp=text:\
         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ls178_hp4m:\
         :sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
         :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
         :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

The printer is set to autoswitch and the 'text' queue on the JetDirect
works well for this.  It immediately recognizes postscript and PCL files
and switches the printer.

The only problem I had was with the banner page that the JetDirect puts
out.  I had no way of turning it off with the telnet protocol until I
upgraded to the latest version of the firmware.

Hope this helps,

Carlo

    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                            segre@iit.edu                            *