Re: Motif, HP JetDirect?

stephen farrell (stephen@farrell.org) wrote:

: These printers need to be rarped in order to get their ip address.
: You need to set up rarpd, and entries in /etc/ethers and /etc/hosts
: for the printer.

Well, I used bootp to configure the JetDirect's and recently I switched
to DHCP (dhcpd package). I did not use rarpd at all. You could also
configure the JetDirects manually from Windows with the JetAdmin
software.

: Then things are straightforward: you put an entry in your printcap
: just as you would for any printer server.  Here's mine:
:
: lp|HP LaserJet|LaserJet4P:\
:   :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
:   :rm=hplaserjet.some.domain:\
:   :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
:   :st=/var/log/lpd-status:\
:   :mx#0:

Be sure to have a separate spool directory for each JetDirect you have. Also,
an entry like rp=text or rp=raw is needed to send jobs as text or binary
data.

Regards,

E.-

--