Re: Debian box and leased line with Frame Relay protocol

On Tue, 27 May 1997, Jerzy Kakol wrote:

> I want to set up a Debian box as a server in certain firm which will be
> connected to WAN through leased line working on Frame Relay protocol. On
> the operator side there will be a V.35 modem. My question is: what
> (device) do I need on my side, where the modem is to be connected to? I'm
> looking for the cheapest solution, the best possibility would be a such
> one that allows to avoid purchasing of an expensive router still being
> able to manage the whole stuff from Debian Linux machine.

I think someone makes a V.35 card for Linux that has a module.  I have no
idea who it was, however.

I wonder why you balk at the idea of a router, however.  What's the CIR of
your frame connection?  If it's 56k, you could get a Microrouter 900i from
Compatible Systems for pretty cheap (like $500 or $600 US), or if you are
going for 256k or 768k on your CIR, you should look at a Cisco 2501.  They
can be found used for around $1200 US.  You can't just hook up your CSU to
any old serial port, since it's XXXk *synchronous*, not the async serial
ports that are on your PC.

If you really feel dangerous, get a FRAD.  I hate 'em, but others love
them.

Jason Costomiris                 | Finger for PGP 2.6.2 Public Key
jcostom@sjis.com                 | "There is a fine line between idiocy
My employers like me, but not	 | and genius.  We aim to erase that line"
enough to let me speak for them. |			--Unknown

	        	http://www.jasons.org/~jcostom