Re: Programming languages: where to start?

On May 14, Johann Spies wrote

> I have been experimenting with debian now for about 8 months and have some
> experience in programming in a Dos-environment using languages like
> Turbopascal, PDC-prolog, DBASE III and Basic earlier on.
>
> I seems to me that to be able to enjoy the power of Linux, I should be
> able to do some Linux programming.
>
> Where should I start?  C, C++, Perl, Python, Tk, Bash script language,
> AWK, SQL, itcl?

I highly recommend Perl as a starting language. C is a good language,
but it's very idiosyncratic; C++ is nice, but it's far too structured
for every-day tasks. Perl lets you choose your own programming style,
and lets you go from there! You can harness the full power of your
Linux box with Perl, if you try :)

A few good places to start with Perl are:

"Learning Perl" by Randal Schwartz, published by O'Reilly
"Programming Perl" by Larry Wall, Tom Christiansen, and Randal Schwartz,
    also published by O'Reilly

http://www.perl.com/perl/
http://www.perl.org/

You can just go from there!

Good luck :)

--
Brought to you by the letters O and R and the number 16.
"Hello! We are only joke. It is funny enough." -- Orz, SCII