Re: Programming languages: where to start?

In message <Pine.LNX.3.95.970514173419.7615A-100000@Johann>, Johann Spies write
s:
> I have been experimenting with debian now for about 8 months and have some
> experience in programming in a Dos-environment using languages like
> Turbopascal, PDC-prolog, DBASE III and Basic earlier on.
>
> I seems to me that to be able to enjoy the power of Linux, I should be
> able to do some Linux programming.
>
> Where should I start?  C, C++, Perl, Python, Tk, Bash script language,
> AWK, SQL, itcl?
>
> When programming in the past I wrote menu-based small databases most of
> the time and I would like to be able to write programs that are
> useful to me and that can be ported to a Dos/Windows environment because
> none of my colleagues are Linux-users.   I have tentatively started
> working on a book 'Learn C++ Today' together with some documentation on gcc.
>
> Which is the best way from here?

If portabel GUI-databases is what you want i think SQL and Tcl/Tk is best.
I prefere Python before Perl but i think Python is UNIX only (corect my if
I'm wrong) so You probably want Perl to compliment Tcl... C and C++ is never
bad to lern and can do what you want if You chose (or write :-) the right
librarys. However, I think You both lern and use Perl/Tcl/Tk faster so if
Your apps don't NEED the power of C/C++ it might be a overkill. Then ther
is Java, but i dont know if it has god interfaces to local databases. I
have herd of DB2 clones for UNIX so You migt find a solution ther (but
not the most fun).

Take this as advice and pointers, not the absolute truth...

HTH /Lars