Re: debian_user mailing list vs newsgroup

Karl Ferguson wrote:

> At 10:23 AM 27/04/97 -0700, Jim Pick wrote:
> >I remember reading somewhere that the gateway from the mailing lists
> >to the linux.* newsgroups was shutting down.  Unfortunately, I can't
> >find the message here anywhere.
> >
> >I suppose we could create our own debian.* newsgroups -- but I prefer
> >getting them via e-mail anyways.
>
> Believe it or not, it's actually a good thing IMO.  I've been replying to
> users on debian-user and found that I suddenly receive multiple spam emails
> everyday (and still are).  Posting things to Usenet with your real email
> address is just asking to be put on the latest spam stuff for the rest of
> your life :(  Thankyou to whoever shut it down :-)

My take on this is completely different. Using Usenet instead of a
mailing list is more efficient in terms of disk usage and probably cpu
load as well (the sysadmins here tell me that our mail servers have
much higher load spikes now that people are using lists). Using trn to
thread articles is more convenient than using elm (a GNUS-user tells
me that its threading and searching are not as good).

If you don't like getting mail-spam, deal with the spammer or the
spam-site. Specimens like this who abuse internet resources need to
have their accounts or sites cut off, and that will only happen if you
complain to their hostmaster or access-provider. Many of them respond
to complaints. You may also have a sysadmin or security officer at
your own site who is willing to do this for you if you provide them
with the spam message (including full headers).

--
-Mike Horansky, Leland Consultant (http://consult.stanford.edu/)
 moho@cyclone.stanford.EDU

OPINIONS EXPRESSED BY ME ARE NOT NECESSARILY SHARED BY MY EMPLOYERS.