Re: wireless connection; cheapest solution?

> Due to some reasons, mostly funincial, I need to establish wireless
> connection between home and lab. I have read a little about HAM radio and
> it sounds nice in that sense.  Is there anybody who can share his
> experience about this topic? Expected speed should be of order ~9600 bps
> and distance ~ 1km. I am looking for cheapest hardware solution.
>
> Thanks in advance for any kind of information.
>

> Eugene Sevinian
>
> ----------------------------
> Cosmic Ray Division
> Yerevan Phisics Institute
> Alikhanian's Brothers str.2
> 375036 Yerevan 36
> Armenia

> Phone: 374-2-352041 (YerPhI), 374-2-344873 (aprt.)
> Fax: 374-2-350030
>

> --

Ham radio could be a solution to your needs, but you should consider the legal issues.  In the USA
commercial traffic is prohibited on the ham bands.  So you might want to consider ham TNC's (radio
modems) hooked up to non-ham radios.

The last time I checked, a 9600 baud TNC was about US$400.00, you would need two of these. Plus
the radios, antennas, towers, and coax to get it all working.  My guess is that it would cost at least
US$2000.00 to get the whole system on the air.

Another alternative is a microwave link.  These run much faster (2Mbit/s) and if you have some
electronics test equipment and a source of Gunn diodes can be cheaper than the commercial
systems. There is an article in the 1991 ARRL Handbook titled "A 2-Mbit/s Microwave Data Link".
Sorry about the age of the book, I need to upgrade :-)  This article has complete schematics and
tune up information.

Good Luck

"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine."

Rob MacWilliams   robmacw@cl-sys.com
N9NPU