wireless connection; cheapest solution?

Due to some reasons, mostly funincial, I need to establish wireless
connection between home and lab. I have read a little about HAM radio and
it sounds nice in that sense.  Is there anybody who can share his
experience about this topic? Expected speed should be of order ~9600 bps
and distance ~ 1km. I am looking for cheapest hardware solution.

Thanks in advance for any kind of information.

Eugene Sevinian

Cosmic Ray Division
Yerevan Phisics Institute
Alikhanian's Brothers str.2
375036 Yerevan 36
Armenia

Phone: 374-2-352041 (YerPhI), 374-2-344873 (aprt.)
Fax: 374-2-350030