compiling C source for HP850C ghostscript driver from OS/2 or DOS on Linux

MOre than once I have tried compiling C source on linux, using gcc,
that generated alot of error messages, including many concerning
backslashes at the ends of lines.  An example is an existing
ghostscript driver for the HP850C Deskjet into ghostscript.  The main
problem I had was with this source code, that I suspected was
developed on MSDOG or OS/2.  It had a lot of "^M" like characters in
it.

Can anyone provide the slightest clue?   What's special about MSDOG
source code files that would result in many error messages?  At least
a clue, otherwise, what I tried to do was delete all "^M" chars and
all backslashes at the ends of lines.  Even this wasn't enough.

Thanks for any clude.  Any.

Alan Davis

--
 Alan Eugene Davis      Marianas High School      15o 8.8'N       GMT+10
 adavis@saipan.com      AAA 196 Box 10,001        145o 42.5'E

"Woe be unto those who lay house to house and field unto field that
the Earth be laid to waste."
                                                   ------ Isaah.