Re: General help needed ! Linux

val.tamarov writes:
 > Please help me to get started !!!
 > I am new to Linux and basic help will br greatly appreciated.
 > I know already ls, pwd, cd, edit.
 > But how to read floppy or change current drive to floppy (dos's cd a:
 > command)
 > how to go to cd-rom, how to distinguish executable files out of regular
 > ones, somebody told me befor but i forgot it ( something like alias
 > ls=.......) and how to make it permanent. How to take out all that stuff
 > what comming durring boot up prosses, I don't have so many hardware what
 > linux is showing
 > Any thing
 > Thank you very much
 > val.tamarov@mci2000.com

Do you have WWW access?  If you do, go to YaHoo, and look up Linux.
Search there for documentation about it.  Another thing to do is look
on your system under /usr/doc/ and see if there is a FAQ and HOWTO
directory there.  Reading that stuff will teach you a lot more than I
can type in a minute or two. :-)

To start out, you can view a file with `less filename`.  Do `cd
/usr/doc`, and then `ls | less` and see what's there.

I would highly recommend installing Midnight Commander, (`mc`) which
gives you a 'norton commander' like interface.  With that, you can
browse your filesystem, and view files.  It's a really great way to
read the HOWTO's and FAQ's, and it formats man pages really nicely
too; so you can browse in the man directories with it.

 You can find `mc` on the Debian ftp sites. :-)

--
Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@inetarena.com>
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg