General help needed ! Linux

Please help me to get started !!!
I am new to Linux and basic help will br greatly appreciated.
I know already ls, pwd, cd, edit.
But how to read floppy or change current drive to floppy (dos's cd a:
command)
how to go to cd-rom, how to distinguish executable files out of regular
ones, somebody told me befor but i forgot it ( something like alias
ls=.......) and how to make it permanent. How to take out all that stuff
what comming durring boot up prosses, I don't have so many hardware what
linux is showing
Any thing
Thank you very much
val.tamarov@mci2000.com