Re: General help needed ! Linux

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, val.tamarov wrote:

> Please help me to get started !!!
> I am new to Linux and basic help will br greatly appreciated.
> I know already ls, pwd, cd, edit.
> But how to read floppy or change current drive to floppy (dos's cd a:
> command)
You have to either mount the floppy under a dir, such as floppy, or use
mdir for dos floppies.  You have to mount CD's.  Best advise is read the
man page (manual page) on mount.

To read a man page type man subject. i.e. man mount
It may be a good idea to do "man man" to read up on using the man command
since you may need to specify args to get the right page.

> how to go to cd-rom, how to distinguish executable files out of regular
> ones, somebody told me befor but i forgot it ( something like alias
> ls=.......) and how to make it permanent. How to take out all that stuff

Anything you want permanent you have to put in your shell's profile file.
Default is bash so in your home dir there should be a file named
.bash_profile

The easiest ay to distinguish between file types is to use colordir's
In the bash profile add dir='ls -a --color'.  The "-a" will make sure you
are shown all files, including hidden files.  There are many args to use
for the ls command.  It's best to read the man page on ls to set them the
way you want them.

--Rick

rickya@siservices.net