Re: bi

 [ I do not like this kind of discussion but I thing some things could be
   helpful to some people.  Indeed, I have been using emacs for a long long
   time and I started to read this trhead because I would like to learn some
   things about vi. Perhaps I will stop writing in this thread. ]

Vadim Vygonets <vadik@cs.huji.ac.il> writes:

> Emacs is powerful, but in vi the work is faster not only because the
> editor is faster, but also because you don't have to move your fingers
> off the letters.

Neither do I.  Even in X, I almost do not use the mouse.  Indeed, inside a
console or inside an xterm (emacs -nw) I could only use the mouse if I have done
some non-standard configuration.  Just don't use the mouse if you prefer. You
can do everything without the mouse.

> > I like [x]jed too.  Indeed I use jedfor small editions.  Besides, my .emacs,
> > site-start.el and default.el load many many things and takes some seconds to
> > start.
>
> Mine too.  cc-mode, font-lock, etc...

I use auto-load for almost everything.  Font-lock is loaded the first time I
use a mode with Font-lock capabilities.  I think font-lock (and I use colors
here) increases the readability.  Get fvwm-mode (from fvwm-mode.el somewhere)
for instance. IMHO, it is much more simple to edit fvwm configuration files
using this mode.  I think this mode was also helpfull when I was configuring
apache since the configuration files syntax are not so different.  BTW, use
lazy-lock if you are concerned about font-lock CPU consuming.

> So?  I use pine, and emacs as the alternative editor.

I use pine sometimes too. Sometimes I just use mail.  I usually use Gnus
inside emacs for reading and writing news and mail.  I like to be able to
score messages according to the subject, for instance.  Those people who would
not like to read this thread, for instance, could just underscore this thread.
I can also score messages according to the author or according to strings
present in the subject field.

> Well, I use emacs for mail and programming, and vi for configs and
> patches.  Sometimes I use ed.

If I have not started an emacs and I wanna do small edition I usually prefer
an other editor too.  Sometimes jed.  Sometimes others.  Emacs is good to be
loaded all the time.  Perhaps in my swap, if I am not using it.

> Well, both vi and emacs have its own
> purposes.

I agree with you.

> I don't like incremental search because it's slow.

I sincerely disagree here.  I sincerely do not see how typing 'monitor' and
ENTER in a search field can be faster than typing just 'mon' when I am
looking for the section monitor in my /etc/X11/XF86Config.

> On my
> good ol' 486

I have just tested in an 8M 486 DX2/66 and incremental search was faster than I
could type.  And I tried to be fast.

>I used emacs only when I needed something really big.

I used to do my LaTeX edition in my old 8M 386 DX/40 box using GNU Emacs with
font-lock-mode.  My file was 200Kbytes large.  Sometimes, I was doing that
with latex running in background...

--
Alair Pereira do Lago  <alair@ime.usp.br> <http://www.ime.usp.br/~alair>
Computer Science Department -- Universidade de S~ao Paulo -- Brazil