Re: bi (Please stop it)

> The issue relevant to this group is: what editor should someone
> expect to find on a system's boot/rescue disk?  That someone
> presumably being a person with enough unix experience to recover
> from the usual problems that can make your machine fail to boot.
> The lastthing you need at that point (especially if this is a
> server for many people) is a surprise from the editor or to have
> to learn a new one.

What I'm saying is: Ok, emacs is great, we all (well, almost all) use
it, I use it too.  But if you have your system on the knees, and you
have enough Unix experience to know how to get it up, you surely know
vi, and most chances are that you also know ed.  Emacs surely doesn't
belong to base, and at least one of ed or (I'm not saying xor!) vi
surely does.  ae is good for newbies, but have you ever seen a newbie
recovering your system?  BTW, I work as a sysadmin, and I learned a
little of ed just because I knew that it's better to learn it before
you need it.

Vadik, who uses ed when he can't get his beloved vi.

--
Vadim Vygonets * vadik@cs.huji.ac.il * vadik@debian.org * Unix admin
If you think C++ is not overly complicated, just what is a protected