Re: X tries to start but wont

On Sun, Mar 02, 1997 at 01:57:40PM -0500, Randy R Dees wrote:
> I have just done a clean install from a  1.2.2 CDROM and am having
> troubles starting X.  I got the base system installed, and then installed
> the X stuff.  I selected xbase, xserver-vga16, fvwm2, and xserver-svga for
> the initaial install.  I did allow xdm to set up.
> upon reboot, I get the nice xlogin widget, and if i enter a bad login it
> works properly, ie it says improper login.  If I login correctly, I get a
> band of static along the top of the screen and then x restarts and I have
> the login widget again.
>
> A look at the errors on the console identifies that PEX ecxtension not
> loaded and XIE extension not loaded.  I kill xdm with /etc/init.d/xdm stop
> and try just starting it with startx, same thing.  If I just run X,
> however, I get a blank grey screen with a cursor and no window manager.
>
> I tried loading the xext module to fix this but get the same messages.
> How do I kill this problem, and get X working correctly?
>
> Thanks
> Randy

  I think there is some sort of bug in the x set-up; an easy
workaround is to use xinit rather than startx; this works for
me.  I used my pre-Debian ~/.xinitrc and start X with a shell
script which is:

#!/bin/sh
xinit -- -bpp 16

  Hope this helps!  BTW, the PEX and XIE extensions aren't
needed for normal X sessions; those errors shouldn't keep you
from initiating an X session.

  Larry
--
Larry Ayers    _/        _/_/_/