Re: Modem

In your email to me, Paul Wade, you wrote:

> Robin Beckett wrote:
>
> > I got hold of the PPP-How-To and examined it's contents with interest,
> I read it several months ago, but when I switched to Debian ppp got a
> lot easier. I quickly edited the supplied chatscript and typed pon. It
> was a lot easier than 2 other distributions I tried.
>
> > It mentioned /dev/modem, which I don't appear to have. Have I missed a package
> > somewhere? Help!
>
> /dev/modem is usually a soft link
>
> for example my modem is on the 3rd port - COM3 in msdos/win
>
> ln -s /dev/cua2 /dev/modem
>
> creates the soft link
>
> if you switch your modem to the next port:
>
> rm /dev/modem
> ln -s /dev/cua3 /dev/modem

No! *Please* don't give out info like this. The cua devices have been
depricated for quite a while. /dev/ttyS* should be used for the serial
devices. Other than that, what you stated is correct.

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
           "You cannot paint the 'Mona Lisa' by assigning one dab