Re: Modem

Robin Beckett wrote:

> I got hold of the PPP-How-To and examined it's contents with interest,
I read it several months ago, but when I switched to Debian ppp got a
lot easier. I quickly edited the supplied chatscript and typed pon. It
was a lot easier than 2 other distributions I tried.

> It mentioned /dev/modem, which I don't appear to have. Have I missed a package
> somewhere? Help!

/dev/modem is usually a soft link

for example my modem is on the 3rd port - COM3 in msdos/win

ln -s /dev/cua2 /dev/modem

creates the soft link

if you switch your modem to the next port:

rm /dev/modem
ln -s /dev/cua3 /dev/modem

and various packages configured for /dev/modem continue to work as
expected.

Paul Wade, CEO
Greenbush Technologies Corporation
Web:	http://www.greenbush.com/