Re: Unarj

I know this problem too. I have even thought about making a wrapper with perl
to make unarj handle multiple volumes.

Anyways if you have file.arj file.a01 file.a02 etc. you can start by doing
'unarj x file.arj'. It will uncompress the first part of the big file. Let's
call the big file 'file.deb'.

You then have to rename 'file.deb' to let's say 'file.tmp'. After that unarj
the second part, file.a01 and use cat to append the uncompressed part to the
end of the 'file.tmp'. The command is 'cat file.deb >> file.tmp'. Remove
'file.deb' and unarj the next archive file.

Do this untill there's no more files to unarj. Here's the whole thing in short:

#unarj x file.arj
#mv file.deb file.tmp
#unarj x file.a01
#cat file.deb >> file.tmp
#rm file.deb
#unarj x file.a02
#cat file.deb >> file.tmp
#rm file.deb
.
.
.

After you have run unarj to all the archive files just use 'mv' to rename the
reconstructed archive back to it's original name.

This is tedious and takes a lot of extra work but it works. I hope this helps.

Pete Poff wrote:
> Hi,
>     well, I had someone download a large file and make it smaller for
> me.  They used ARJ to split it up, and I read on the debian ftp site that
> there is only ARJ for MS-DOS.  I have gotten unarj, and can't find out
> how to unarj it.  It's in 10 different files, and I need to put then into
> one again, how do I do this?  If I try to unarj each file at a time, it
> says that file is already there.

// Heikki
--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland