Re: Installing Debian over existing Slackware--pointers?

At 05:22 PM 12/21/96 -0500, Walter Tautz wrote:

>Let me first say that I have the requisite rescue and base floppies at
>home on my hardrive running Slackware---I placed them in a subdirector
>under /
>
>--- I don't want to repartition my hardrive for obvious reason---I have files
>    I want preserve

Do you have a backup system. Can you bacjk up that one directory. Perhaps on
anther hard drive partition that you already have??

>--- My possible approach: use the boot/root floppies from slackware and remove
>    as many unnecessary files as possible, then
>    use the rescue floppy from Debian to being installation of the
>    base distribution. Can I do this from the hardrive, or should I put the
>    base images on floppies as per the instructions in install.txt under
>    disks-i386 or is it just enough to use the rescue floppy, boot it, and
>    then indicate the location of the files to be installed on the hardrive.
>    I have a feeling it would be easier to use the floppy approach.

I think you have to do it from the floppies.

>   --- how do I get rid of the existing /dev directory under slackware
>       prior to reinstalling the new version under Debian, afterall when
>       using a boot/root floppy one generally mounts the /dev/hda under
>       /mnt and so erasing /dev would be prevent umounting it?

When you boot/root with slackware you /dev will not be the /dev you need to
delete. The /dev you need to delete will be /mnt/dev

But you don't even need the slackware boot/root. you can get to a shell and
do these thing from the debian disks.

Good luck.