InfoMagic CD ROM

Just picked up the latest InfoMagic CDROM (green). It claims to have Debian
1.2 on it, but once again, there are a few problems (not like the 1.0 fiasco,
though). Here's a list -- consider this the early warning system for anyone
using Debian 1.2 off the infomagic cd:

First, the following packages (at least) have more than one version on the cd:

base-files
kbd
makedev
util-linux
man
dpkg-ftp
ppp
tcsh
xbase
xlib6

Depending on the order in which dpkg finds them, you may or may not end up
with the latest version. This is probably a bug in dpkg -- dpkg should not
only refuse to downgrade when the -G option is specified, it should also
prevent a downgrade if a newer package is installed during the current run
(this would keep dpkg from installing 'xlib6_3.2-1a', then downgrading to
'xlib6_3.2-1' when they are encountered in that order, etc).

Second, the following packages (at least) are on the CD, but are not the same
verision as in Debian 1.2 on the debian ftp sites (hopefully the versions on
the cd don't have any bugs or security holes, so that users aren't forced to
immediately upgrade via ftp):

dpkg
makedev
modconf
dpkg-dev
libg++27-dev
libg++27
doc-linux
nvi
netstd
xbase

Of course, all the other notes about problems installing/upgrading Debian 1.2
apply as well. I also ran across another problem which I think was mentioned
already -- xbase restarts xdm automatically when you're upgrading. This is
*very* annoying when you've killed xdm and are upgrading from a text console.

--
Scott Barker
Linux Consultant

[ I try to reply to all e-mail within 3 days. If you don't   ]
[ get a response by then, I probably didn't get your e-mail. ]
[ Unsolicited commercial and junk e-mail will be proof-read for US$100 ]

"The man who strikes first admits that his ideas have given out."
   - Chinese proverb