What's the trick with X 3.2?

ugs@laci.net writes:
 > I've looked through the dependencies and I think xlib6 should be installed
 > first.  Turns out there is something called "xlib" that is blocking an
 > easy upgrade.  I get the following few errors:

In this particular case it's a bug in the gwm package; it depends on
xlib when it should have depended on elf-x11r6lib. If you remove it
before upgrading, the upgrade should work.

You may find that there are other packages with a similar bug. You can
tell which package it is that is getting in the way; dpkg tells you here:

 > dpkg: considering removing xlib in favour of xlib6 ...
 > dpkg: no, cannot remove xlib (--auto-deconfigure will help):
 >  gwm depends on xlib (>= 3.1.2-4)
    ^^^
 >   xlib is to be removed.
 > dpkg: regarding xlib6_3.2-1.deb containing xlib6:
 >  xlib6 conflicts with elf-x11r6lib
 >   xlib provides elf-x11r6lib and is installed.
 > dpkg: error processing xlib6_3.2-1.deb (--install):
 >  conflicting packages - not installing xlib6
 >  xlib6_3.2-1.deb

Once you have upgraded the X packages you can re-install the buggy
packages using the --force-depends option.

Steve Early