How do I delete Obsolete/Required packages?

My system is up-to-date with unstable.
dselect shows me the following obsolete packages, but won't let
me remove them because they're required. What do I do?

    - All packages
-
    --- Obsolete and local packages present on system ---
    ----- Obsolete/local packages in section base -----
    ------- Obsolete/local Required packages in section base -------
 *** base     Req base         1.1.0-14    <none>
 *__ base     Req image        1.3.64-0    <none>
 *__ base     Req kernel-image 1.3.100-0   <none>

The dselect "Remove" option gives these errors:

running dpkg --pending --remove ...
dpkg: error processing image (--remove):
 This is an essential package - it should not be removed.
dpkg: error processing kernel-image-1.3.100 (--remove):
 This is an essential package - it should not be removed.
 image
 kernel-image-1.3.100

I've installed a kernel-image that I made with kernel-package, but
dselect doesn't seem to have noticed this at all. I'm
posting a separate message about this.

--
...RickM...