RE: Laptop and PCMCIA

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Paul Christenson wrote:

> >I'm trying slowy to get my whole office over to Debian <g>, and
> >the next machine I'm going to tackle is the TI-Extensa 560CD laptop.
>
> I installed it on an Extensa 570CDT (except for X); no problems with the
> base installation.  The CD-ROM is a standard ATAPI on /dev/hdb.  The fact
> that there is a reboot involved between the last floppy disk and the first
> CD usage made it quite simple (as the CD and FDD share one bay).
>
> The fun started when I tried to get networking started.  The PCMCIA
> package installed just fine, except that Debian tries to set up networking
> BEFORE Card Services is installed.  I moved Card Services into
> /etc/init.d/boot before the network is initialized, and added a 'sleep'
> command that was just long enough to allow the Ethernet card (in slot A)
> to initialize.
>
> I suppose that moving Card Services into the 'networking' script is the
> proper approach, but the bottom line was that it worked.

I had the same problem.  I posted an message to the list a while
ago on it, but it may have been missed.  When first installing
or configuring Debian, you get asked if you are connected to a
network (or something similar).  You should say no there.  This
is buried in the pcmcia package docs.  Let the pcmcia script in
init.d configure the network for you.  You should put the
information you normally keep in /etc/init.d/network in
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts.  You can just remove the entries from
your /etc/network file and put them in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts
now and reboot the system to get it going.

The latest pcmcia card services package does not contain support
for the Xircom card you mentioned.  I had that card and had to
switch it.  Xircom has changed its non-disclosure policy a bit,
so there may be support in a future release, but not yet.  There
is a _lot_ of information on linux on laptops available on the web.
Do a search on those keywords.  You can also follow links from
RedHat's web site to the Linux Laptop Home Page.  It has working
configurations for a slew of specific laptop models,
commentaries, technical links, etc.

Very informative.

Good luck.

Richard G. Roberto