Mouse troubles

I have a Logitech Pilot mouse which is giving me some trouble: the
middle doesn't work correctly. Using xev it appears that at the mose
is dragged with the middle button down, it bounces continuously. Using
mev the button gives both up and down events at the start and the end
of the drag and pretends not to be pressed in between.

Also mc doesn't understand the mouse properly in the console or in X.
(Do I have to explicitly tell emacs to do mouse things in the
console?)

Tony.