Re: Big IDE drive on old bios

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Stephen Fuqua wrote:

> I am in the process of building a debian machine for my office
> from surplus parts.
> Will I be able to get lilo to boot off the 1gig drive when I
> make a root partition smaller than 1023 cylinders?  Can I be
> pretty sure that I can at least boot the thing with a floppy?

You will be able to boot from floppy.  No problem.

However, the way I recommend is NOT to use lilo, but loadlin.  Create a
small (a few meg) DOS partition as the first partition, and have the
AUTOEXEC.BAT simply run loadlin.

This works even if you have one of the really strange machines that lilo
doesn't like.  I had an Ambra that was that way.

   | This is OFFICIAL *WRITTEN* notification that I want to be *REMOVED* |
   |  from *ALL* of your mailing lists.  *EVERY* message sent from this  |
   | account has had this request posted. ALL UNSOLICITED ADVERTISEMENTS |
   |     SENT TO THIS ACCOUNT ARE IN VIOLATION OF FEDERAL (U.S.) LAW.    |