sbpcd module

Anyone using the sbpcd driver? Until last night my server at home here
(a 386/40/8) was running some mess vaguely resembling Slackware 2.3
and 3.0, and I upgraded it to Debian last night. sbpcd was compiled
in to the kernel before, but with Debian it's a module. When I go

insmod sbpcd sbpcd=0x330,Lasermate

(since my controller is not looked for in the normal scanning,
and that takes ages anyway), it first checks some garbage
address like 0x105FDAA5, then the standard ones.
Hence, it never works.

Anyone else observed this?

If I remember rightly, there's another sb cdrom driver around
that's not in the standard kernel. Might have to hunt that up.

hamish