Re: can't seem to get internalmodem running

On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Rob Hanson wrote:

> Hey there everyone,
>
> I am a bit new to the linux thing, and I seem to be having some trouble
> locating my modem.  It is an internal 33.6 cardinal voice modem, and it
> uses com3 on my win95 setup.  Being an internal com port, I don't think
> it was configured when I added the serial ports to the kernel on
> installation, and the /dev system on unic/linux is taking some getting
> used to.
>
> If any of you have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated,
> as copying .deb files to floppy in win95 then installing them in linux
> really sucks, but until I can find my modem, I can't grab anything while
> in linux.  Also, I have the minicom program ( I think that is what it is
> called, so until I get the net tools and the ppp going, this should do.
> So basically I just need to find which of the dev choices is my modem,
> and if it is even on that list.

is there any reason why you cannot copy the files directly from your Win95
partition?

for example, make directory in your Linux root dir ( /drivec or something
like that)

then, use mount.

mount /dev/hda1 /drivec -t vfat

/dev/hda1 represents the partition where win95 resides. You'll probably
have to change it to represent where YOUR win95 partition is.

-t vfat tells it to use the vfat filesystem, so you get your long
filenames.

in Unix:

/dev/hda       First IDE hard drive on primary channel (master)
/dev/hdb       Second   "  "     "   "    "       "    (slave)
/dev/hdc       First IDE drive on secondary channel    (master)
/dev/hdd       Second "   "     "    "         "       (slave)

then, you need to know what the partition number is. you can find this out
in linux fdisk. just type "fdisk /dev/hd? " where ? is the drive in
question. then type "p" to print the partition table.

don't worry, fdisk won't do anything unless you tell it to. Just be sure
to get help if you need it.

I've copied stuff from a DOS drive many times, and with the vfat support,
you even preserve the long filenames.

Good luck!
Chris.

===