debian startup scripts & dedicated ppp

I have a dedicated ppp script, and it doesn't seem that debian's startup
scripts make any provisions for this. I've modified the init.d/ppp script
to start up ppp, and made it be run on boot and shutdown.

There's a filesystem I always nfs mount over ppp (it's in fstab), and when
I'm booting up, init.d/boot mounts all the nfs filesystems after it's run
init.d/network, but before my ppp gets started. So I have to wait there
until the mount times out, and manually mount the filesystem after the
system is done booting.

I have a similar problem on shutdown, my ppp is killed when the scripts in
/etc/rc6.d are run, but the nfs filesystem is still mounted. Then
init.d/reboot comes along and tries to unmount filesystems, anf gets hung
up on the nfs filesystem, and I have to wait for that to time out before
my system reboots.

So is there a better way to set up a dedicated ppp link than what I'm
using? And is there any provision to unmount filesystems before the
network is brought down?

I see that red hat uses a "nfsfs" script that's responsible for
starting/stopping nfs services at the appropriate time. Unless I'm just
totally missing something with my problems as I described them above, I
propose that a similar script be added to debian.

--
               "true - do nothing, successfully" - - true (1)