Re: debian startup scripts & dedicated ppp

On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Joey Hess wrote:

> I have a dedicated ppp script, and it doesn't seem that debian's startup
> scripts make any provisions for this. I've modified the init.d/ppp script
> to start up ppp, and made it be run on boot and shutdown.
>
> There's a filesystem I always nfs mount over ppp (it's in fstab), and when
> I'm booting up, init.d/boot mounts all the nfs filesystems after it's run
> init.d/network, but before my ppp gets started. So I have to wait there
> until the mount times out, and manually mount the filesystem after the
> system is done booting.

You should propagate the PPP startup script before the NFS
mounts occur.  This is a site specific configuration that
probably isn't that common.  Never the less, I think Debian
1.2 will probably deal with this better (I think).  In the
mean time, you can customize the init.d/network script to
call your ppp startup script instead of running it out of
rcX.d (where X is the run level).  I don't have a Debian
system in front of me right now (mine's floating in the
Pacific at the moment :-)), so this is the best I can do.
This should get your ppp up prior to going to the mount
phase.

A better solution may be to use the noauto option for NFS
mounts and include a separate NFS mount script in init.d and
link it to something later than the PPP script in the rc
directory.  That would save you from modifying
init.d/network.  It would also enable you to configure
runlevels that do not use ppp, or NFS mounts, etc.

Again I don't have a Debian system in from of me right now,
so I don't know how this is handled in 1.1 out of the box
for sure.

> I have a similar problem on shutdown, my ppp is killed when the scripts in
> /etc/rc6.d are run, but the nfs filesystem is still mounted. Then
> init.d/reboot comes along and tries to unmount filesystems, anf gets hung
> up on the nfs filesystem, and I have to wait for that to time out before
> my system reboots.

This seems to be a very popular problem.  Debian, RedHat,
Slackware, SunOS, Solaris, Irix all kill all processes prior
to unmounting filesystems.  The theory behind this is that
if a filehandle is open on a filesystem, it can't be
unmounted.  The problem is when the process killed is ypbind
or pppd and you can't resolve the hostname of the NFS
server.

I think Solaris 2.5+ has a functional fuser command
that could be used to kill all processes (close all open
filehandles) on a mount point.  The shutdown procedure could
then kill processes on NFS mounted filesystems first,
unmount NFS filesystems, then do its normal routine of
killing all processes and umounting all filesystems.

Anybody know if Debian's fuser command supports this?
Anybody got any other ideas here?

> So is there a better way to set up a dedicated ppp link than what I'm
> using? And is there any provision to unmount filesystems before the
> network is brought down?
>
> I see that red hat uses a "nfsfs" script that's responsible for
> starting/stopping nfs services at the appropriate time. Unless I'm just
> totally missing something with my problems as I described them above, I
> propose that a similar script be added to debian.

How does this script handle the open filehandles issue on
NFS mounts?  Do you have a copy of the script?

Thanks

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
011-81-3-3437-7810 - Tokyo, Japan

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.