Re: which..

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.91.960516183748.15486B-100000@blue.intele.net>,
Gerry Jensen  <gerry@blue.intele.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 May 1996, Rob Browning wrote:
>
>> I would say that Debian needs a FAQ for this, but after the new
>> release is out it'll be irrelevant.  The upcoming 1.1 release has
>> which.  It's just a bash shell script that calls bash's built in type
>> command:
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> type -path $*
>
>I'm glad "which" is now included with Debian, but I think it would be
>better to use a real program (perhaps borrowed from Slackware) instead of
>the bash shell script.  A problem with the bash script is that it doesn't
>handle shell builtins like one would expect "which" would.  For example:
>
>which test
>
>returns nothing.  While which should return /usr/bin/test on a Debian
>system.

This can easily be fixed by using "-all".

#!/bin/bash
type -path -all $*

That will print the location of test. I am on my home system now,
it isn't very up-to-date and so doesn't have "which" yet. This
means I cannot file a bug report since I don't know which package
it is part of..

Mike.
--
+ Miquel van Smoorenburg   + Cistron Internet Services +  Living is a     |
| miquels@cistron.nl (SP6) | Independent Dutch ISP     |   horizontal     |