Re: which..

On Thu, 16 May 1996, Rob Browning wrote:

> I would say that Debian needs a FAQ for this, but after the new
> release is out it'll be irrelevant.  The upcoming 1.1 release has
> which.  It's just a bash shell script that calls bash's built in type
> command:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> type -path $*

I'm glad "which" is now included with Debian, but I think it would be
better to use a real program (perhaps borrowed from Slackware) instead of
the bash shell script.  A problem with the bash script is that it doesn't
handle shell builtins like one would expect "which" would.  For example:

which test

returns nothing.  While which should return /usr/bin/test on a Debian
system.

Gerry