Making Netscape Happy!

> On Tue, 20 Feb 1996, Mike Patterson wrote:
>

> > When I run a program in X with a text field, I can't backspace, tab, etc.
> >
> > Netscape complains about a bunch of missing key definitions, for example.
> >
> > Any ideas?

These questions are distinct and seem to come up pretty often.  I guess
Netrape is a pretty popular program...

Getting Netscape to work without mangling the FSSTND and possibly
breaking upgrades to X stuff:

1. Copy everything from the netscape tar.gz to a directory
/usr/local/lib/netscape
2. Use the following script as /usr/local/bin/netscape
--cut--
#!/bin/sh
XNLSPATH=/usr/local/lib/netscape/nls
XKEYSYMDB=/usr/local/lib/netscape/XKeysymDB
export XNLSPATH XKEYSYMDB
exec /usr/local/lib/netscape/netscape $*
--cut--
3. chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/netscape

Getting backspace to work:
Add this line to your .xinitrc
xmodmap -e 'keycode 22 = BackSpace'

Netscape doesn't like having the keymap changed under it, so if you
choose to just type this line in, you'll have to quit and restart
Netscape.

Guy