Re: Performance of Debian

ALLAN W. BART wrote:

> One of my friends is an old unix pro and he cannot believe that an
> intel system can run x windows with any degree fo performance.
> I would like to hear about experiences with x on let's say 486100 DX?

Just one hour ago I upgraded a DX2/66 from 8 meg to 16 and can say the
performance increase with X and Netscape is simply amazing, like 10
to 20 times faster. I don't know how this compares to "real workstations"
but to anyone with only 8 meg running X, sell an arm and a leg... I did
and it is worth it. Subjectively, windows refreshes are now every bit as
snappy as Win95, even Win31, on the same machine.

--
Mark Constable (+61 7 55275724)
mailto:markc@ion.com.au