Garbage on terminal lines driving me nuts!

Hi all,

I've noticed this with Slackware too,  so it's probably not
a Debian problem.

If ever I scroll binary data across a virtual terminal the
character set gets completely stuffed - the only things which
come out all right are CAPS and digits - lower case letters
are replaced with the worst gobbledegook...

Nothing seems to fix this other than a reboot - and I really don't
like taking the server down for something so arbitrary.

*Please* tell me this is a known and easily cured problem ;-)

Thanks,
Mark