Off-topic (was Re: C++ with elf-gcc-2.7.0.deb)

Since Dale's message refers neither to C++ nor to elf-gcc I took the liberty to
change subject.

Dale Scheetz writes:
>On Thu, 26 Oct 1995, Jeff Noxon wrote:
In a private email I guess?

>> Have you used gdb?  Just compile with -ggdb, and run the program from gdb.
>> It should land you on the offending line of the source code.
>
>Well, when I add the -ggdb option, I get:
>
>gcc -O -ggdb -c seesat.c
>gcc -O -ggdb -c driver.c
>gcc -O -ggdb -c util.c
>gcc -O -ggdb -c sgp4.c
>gcc -O -ggdb -c astro.c
>gcc -O -ggdb -c readel.c
>gcc -O -ggdb -o seesat5 -L/usr/lib/  seesat.o driver.o util.o sgp4.o astro.o readel.o -lm
Omit -L/usr/lib, gcc looks there by default, and try -g instead of -ggdb
>ld: Output file requires shared library `libc.so.4'
>gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 6
>make: *** [seesat5] Error 1
>
>Now, I found libc.so.4 in /lib/, so I made a link (I tried both symbolic
>and hard links) in /usr/lib thinking that -L wanted it there. Still same
>error. If I remove the -ggdb option everything compiles and links fine.

For debugging you have to link statically, so adding -static might be a better
guess.

>Any ideas?
s.a.

-- Siggy