some good news! latex2html works!

In case anyone's had a rough day, I thought it might be worth reporting
some good news:  I've been trying for a while (understatement) to get
Nikos Drakos' latex2html package
(http://cbl.leeds.ac.uk/nikos/tex2html/doc/latex2html/latex2html.html)
to work, and finally succeeded this afternoon.

To do this, I (thought I) had to recompile Perl with some flags turned off.
With help from this group I succeeded at that today, and finally did get
latex2html to work.  (One has to also "patch" the latex2html source code by
adding a simple invocation to a DBM file at the top of it:
"require AnyDBM_File;").

But the larger lesson I learned from all this was that whatever reasons
I had for moving to Debian before this just *pale* in comparison to
the joy of being able to tune and reinstall large, complex source package
like Perl by minor edits to a small, elegant file like debian.rules.
In effect, the debian design principles make those packages far more
accessible to ordinary users.

My next goal is to learn how to debianize a package myself so I can
contribute to this terrific endeavor.

Thanks!
Susan Kleinmann
sgk@sgk.tiac.net