Re: image-1.2.13-4.deb

Dale Scheetz writes:
>Well, I've done it to myself again... I installed the image package for the
>1.2.13 R4 kernel, did the rdev setup on vmlinuz and copied the new one to my
>dos partition (that's where I boot from with loadlinux). When I rebooted I
>was told that I was trying to boot an unconfigured system, and that I should
>configure it from the boot/root disks. I did that, but with what I think may
>have been an outdated boot/root disk set, because when it came time to
>configure modules I could not get any response other than <module name>
>doesn't exist: try another.
>Well, I was able to boot the system but it still isn't right.(No DUuuh) The
>boot up messages indicate that the modules are being loaded as usual, but if
>I try to use pppd I get told that PPP is not available on this machine!
>If I get a new boot/root disk pair, do I have any hope of untangling this
>mess by reconfiguring?
>I have upgraded the kernel 3 times in the last month. Each time, installing
>with dpkg and setting the root and swap devices with rdev has been all that
>was necessary. What happened with this particular package?
>
>All help is greatly appreciated, Dale

Did you upgrade to ppp-2.2 ? Please include version numbers for all relevant
packages in your message.

Here is my working (if you see this message) combination.

baal:~$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 1.2.13 (bsb@baal) (gcc version 2.6.3) #7 Thu Oct 19 07:25:57 MET 1995

baal:~$ dmesg | grep "PPP: version"
PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel allocation)

baal:~$ dpkg --list ppp source
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name         Version   Rev  Description
ii  ppp                2.2 1    Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) daemon.
ii  source          1.2.13 4    Linux kernel source.

-- Siggy (the middle S.)