Mirroring ftp.debian.org

We (a bunch of guys @ Physics' Department - University of Costa Rica) are
trying to mirror ftp.debian.org, in order to provide a local (Central
America mostly) mirror for debian. We are using the Perl-based Mirror
program by Lee McLoughlin <lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk>, version 2.3. This is the
first mirror we are trying to run, and we are having some trouble with it.
We've tested it using local (small) ftp servers, and everything seems to
be OK, but when try to mirror ftp.debian.org, it's seems like the script
can't handle it, because it runs out of memory (or at least Perl says so),
and it quits, leaving the mirror unfinished. When we restart the script it
"gets confused" and retrieves files already retrieved (actually, SOME of
the files have changed, but not ALL of them). Bottom line is we haven't
been able to mirror debian beyond the first 30-40 MB.

We are running Perl 4.0PL36, the one which comes with Slackware 2.0.0,
which in turn is going to be dumped in favor of Debian 0.93R6.

Any ideas on this subject? Any mirror site`s manager listening? Help...
please. (My apologies is this is way off-topic)

TIA,

-Marcelo <mmagallo@simula.efis.ucr.ac.cr>