Re: Mirroring ftp.debian.org

For those using mirror or contemplating it...

You need perl4 for version 2.3 of mirror.  The experimental version of mirror
(version 2.8) is supposed to work under many versions of perl including the
latest perl 5.  It can be found at
	<ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/mirror/experimental>

There is an ultra low volume mailing list for those interested in following
any development or bugs, <mirror-people@doc.ic.ac.uk>.  To subscribe send mail
to <majordomo@doc.ic.ac.uk> with a message body containing:

subscribe mirror-people

If you are using mirror-2.3 (this is what I am currently using) then you will
probably want to apply the following patch to the ftp.pl perl package.  The
patch (which is fuller and more complete in version 2.8) works around a memory
leak in perl.  Without the patch you need the same amount of virtual memory as
the amount of data you wish to transfer :-).  This patch is not a complete
fix!  It could cause mirror to hang if a remote site stops sending data for
some reason.

*** ftp.pl.~1~  Sun Apr 24 17:36:33 1994
- --- ftp.pl      Sun Apr 24 18:04:45 1994
***************
*** 595,601 ****
        local( $bytes, $lasthash, $hashes ) = (0, 0, 0);
        local( $old_sig ) = $SIG{ 'ALRM' };
        $SIG{ 'ALRM' } = "ftp\'read_alarm";
!       while( ($len = &ftp'read()) > 0 ){
                $bytes += $len;
                if( $strip_cr ){
                        $ftp'buf =~ s/\r//g;
- --- 595,601 ----
        local( $bytes, $lasthash, $hashes ) = (0, 0, 0);
        local( $old_sig ) = $SIG{ 'ALRM' };
        $SIG{ 'ALRM' } = "ftp\'read_alarm";
!       while( ($len = sysread( NS, $ftpbuf, $ftpbufsize)) > 0 ){
                $bytes += $len;
                if( $strip_cr ){
                        $ftp'buf =~ s/\r//g;

You should be able to use the following mirror script to retreive the whole
archive.  I don't normally have the `mirror.defaults' file installed as it can
cause some unexpected things to happen for the novice.

package=defaults
        remote_user=anonymous
#Convention says use: your_username_here-mirror@
#        remote_password=username-mirror@
        do_deletes=true
        max_delete_files=100%
        max_delete_dirs=100%
        timeout=300
        retry_call=10
        get_patt=.*

package=debian
        comment=Debian from ftp.debian.org
        site=ftp.debian.org
        local_dir=debian
        remote_dir=/debian
        recursive=true
        make_bad_symlinks=true
#You can mail the results of mirror to a user...
#        mail_to=

I normally run mirror interactively.  If you use the -d -d option then it will
give you a running commentary, including info on the recent transfer rate.

	mirror -d -d mirror-debian

Simon Cooper,
Systems Coordinator,
Rutgers University, Network Services.