uugetty craziness...

   Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 08:47 PST
   Sender: debian-user@pixar.com
   From: Dwayne Springfield <dwaynes@netcom8.netcom.com>

   I cannot seem to get remote logins through my mode to function as they
   should. uugetty maps the port correctly.  The issue file is sent and
   appears.  The login prompt appears, but when the person enters their
   name and hits <return>.  the password prompt never shows up.  They just
   sit there.  When they hang up.. uugetty takes the port back and sets up
   just ass it should.  Is there something about the login program that I'm
   missing.  This all worked on my previous linux installation.  So I am
   assuming (perhaps incorrectly :) ) that this was introduced to my system
   by installing debian as opposed to failing hardware (please no!)

I had that problem when hooking up a terminal using a cable that didn't
assert CarrierDetect.  Uugetty using /dev/ttyS1 wouldn't work at all.
Getty using /dev/cua1 got me this behavior.  Removing the password from the
account allowed login to proceed, though bash's prompt didn't appear until
after I ^C'd.  (All this to avoid soldering a new cable!)

Matt Birkholz
birkholz@martigny.ai.mit.edu