Debian 0.90 Emacs/aucTeX problem under X

   Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 09:08 PST
   Sender: debian-user@pixar.com
   From: quinlan@spectrum.cs.bucknell.edu (Daniel Quinlan)

   macneill@eleceng.ee.queensu.ca (Kevin MacNeill) writes:

   > John van der Koijk <vdkoijk@radth.ruu.nl> wrote:
   >>>  I'm experiencing problems installing aucTeX in Emacs. It seems that
	[...]
   >>>  	File mode specification error: (wrong-number-of-arguments #[(&optional
   >>>  	buffer visible-ok)"\300^Y\302^K^L\"^Q.......

   > I've also run into this problem. I found that the emacs-19.22 on
   [...]

   I'm afraid I can't figure out the problem with such cryptic references.
   I can hope that the next version works, but that is about it.  Sorry.

I can be more helpful.  The error messages says that a byte-compiled
function whose argument list is (&optional buffer visible-ok) was called
with the wrong number of arguments (3 or more?) while evaluating the file
mode specification (found on the auto-mode-alist or in the -*-Mode-*- line
or Local Variables or...).  The problem is probably in one of John's
privately loaded buffer modes, so John needs to do a little debugging
at home (e.g. M-x set-variable debug-on-error t).

Matt Birkholz
birkholz@martigny.ai.mit.edu