Re: Debian 0.90 Emacs/aucTeX problem under X

macneill@eleceng.ee.queensu.ca (Kevin MacNeill) writes:

> John van der Koijk <vdkoijk@radth.ruu.nl> wrote:
>>>  I'm experiencing problems installing aucTeX in Emacs. It seems that
>>>  all is working fine when using a non-X VC; however, when starting
>>>  aucTeX from an X session of Emacs the following happens:
>>>
>>>  1. tex-site is loaded by .emacs (apparently without errors)
>>>  2. when a .tex file is loaded the error message
>>>
>>>  	File mode specification error: (wrong-number-of-arguments #[(&optional
>>>  	buffer visible-ok)"\300^Y\302^K^L\"^Q.......

> I've also run into this problem. I found that the emacs-19.22 on
> sunsite (not the debian version) works OK with auctex. The problem
> seemed to have something to do with the emacs binary, not the lisp files.

I'm afraid I can't figure out the problem with such cryptic references.
I can hope that the next version works, but that is about it.  Sorry.

Please provide better information if you want to get something fixed.
Emacs isn't a small little binary where problems can be spotted in an
instant, you know.

As far as the lisp files go, one single function was changed throughout
the entire lisp directory -- totally unrelated to this.  jka-compr19
was also added to get gzipped info pages working, but I doubt that was
a problem as well.  jka-compr19 will be a part of Emacs 19.23.

Dan

--
Daniel Quinlan  <quinlan@spectrum.cs.bucknell.edu>