Re: [SOLVED] Warum will apt so viel installieren?

Reinhold Plew wrote the following on 01.11.2007 22:20

<<-snip->>

> Worin unterscheiden sich Deiner Meinung nach 'Recommends' und
> 'Suggests', beides heisst frei übersetzt 'Vorschlag'?
> Und wenn es Vorschläge sind, dann sollte der Benutzer imho wirklich
> entscheiden können, ob und welche Vorschläge er installieren will.

Meine "Meinung" ist irrelevant imho.
Die Devs haben entschieden, dass Recommends als "weak dependencies" statt
"strong Suggests" definiert werden.

Ich denke mit dieser Definition wird die Funktion und "Wichtigkeit" besser
beschrieben.

<-------------------------------------------------------------

Joey Hess
Turning recommends on by default in
apt and exposing maintainers to all the bad recommends out there seems
like a good way to get them fixed.

Raphael Hertzog
I'm sorry but that's hardly the case. Google finds about 2 or 3 times more
reference to "Debian apt-get" than to "Debian aptitude".

Furthermore, it has already been said in this thread that it's confusing
to have two tools advertised by the project as being good to use that do
not follow policy in the same manner.

I definitely want Recommends installed by default given how easy it is for
advanced users to identify recommends that they don't wish to have. And
cleaning up the recommends to match policy is also a good thing to do.

> > We, the APT Development Team, will change apt to install recommended
> > packages by default on October 1st. This should give enough time to
> Why? What is the point?

The change is meant to make apt follow policy. Policy says:

Recommends
    This declares a strong, but not absolute, dependency.
    The Recommends field should list packages that would be found
    together with this one in all but unusual installations.

apt never really followed that policy. This lead to the current
situation where recommends are used a lot when they are not really
appropriate because only aptitude and dselect enforced them.

If the majority of people feel that the policy is wrong or does not
reflect reality, then we should change policy. But I think the current
wording ("in all but unusual installations") is pretty clear.

> Gruss
> Reinhold

Das ist ein wirklich kurzer Auszug der Diskussion.
Aber ich hoffe er macht im Querschnitt deutlich was dahinter steckt.
--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09