Re: Installation of Recommends by default on October 1st

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 11:30:33PM +0100, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
> Policy does not mandate that ALL Recommends: are to be installed. The
> new default makes Recommends: disappear completely - there would be no
> difference between Depends: and Recommends: just like there is a
> perception of no real difference between Recommends: and Suggests: at
> the moment.

There is actually quite a big difference between the "new" Recommends
and Depends: you can uninstall Recommends without uninstalling reverse
dependencies.

By the way, we could even add something to deborphan or similar tools to
propose to uninstall Recommends that are not used by the user, based on
data from popcon, for example.

Mike