Re: what remains before upload to unstable

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> wrote:
[...]
> BUT: I thought about it a bit and decided the following: Since ttf/otf
> fonts normally ship their metrics within the font, and those engines
> that use otf/ttf (xetex and luatex) are not using afm or tfm for these
> fonts, I suggest that we simply DROP all fonts as is and add
> depends and simple links to get it right. I.e., extreme 2 from above.

ACK

Most likely the differences just come from the fonts being re-build in
the font packages. If that step introduces problems, then it is a bug
in the font package. Of course, this could mean that updating a font
package changes the layout of your TeX document. But I think anybody
using fonts that are under active development should be prepared for
that.

Besides, xetex uses font-config while luatex uses kpsewhich to find
the font files, right? How does xetex find the files that are in the
TEXMF-tree? Are these added to font-config? If yes, what happens if
two versions of the same font are installed, one from the font package
and one from texlive? Sounds like a lot less trouble to just link to
the fonts from the font packages.

cheerio
ralf