Re: scalable-cyrfonts and font naming

Hi Karl, hi Anton,

(I forgot to include the original bug report, now included)

On Sa, 17 Mär 2012, Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Norbert,
>
> 	Free Times, Free Helvetian, Free Helvetian Condensed, Free Courier,
> 	Free Avant Garde, Free Paladin, Free Schoolbook, Free Bookman,
> 	Free Chancery, Teams and OldSlavic.
>
> Those names seem awfully generic, and there are some trademarks in
> there ... anyway ...

I agree.

>     Now that creates a clash that is sub-optimal.
>
> Not just suboptimal.  Completely unacceptable.  Conflicts would make
> both fonts sets unusable, in practice.

Also here I agree.

>             fpl:	TL package fpl: SC and OsF fonts for URW Palladio L
>                                     shipping the fonts
>                     TL package psnfss: shipping fpl maps
>             fnc:	TL package fouriernc:
>
> I see no magic bullet here.  We can't create a conflict.  So either the
> fpl and fnc authors change their names, the cyrfonts authors change
> their names, or we omit at least those two cyrfonts from TL.  Right?

These cyrfonts are *NOT* in TeX Live at all, neither in upstream nor
in Debian TeX Live. It is a separate package in Debian.

> I have no way of knowing how widely used the TeX fpl and fnc are, but I
> expect they have been used in *some* documents.  Therefore I would feel
> bad about renaming them.  Since they have been in TL for some years, I
> feel they should have priority on the names ...

I agree that since the other fpl/fnc fonts are in TL since long time,
we will not change there names.

So we simply leave this bug open, and I will probably add a conflict
against scalable-cyrfonts-tex as it breaks behaviour of the tex system.

WIVENHOE (n.)
The cry of alacrity with which a sprightly eighty-year-old breaks the
ice on the lake when going for a swim on Christmas Eve.