Re: Sould tl-latex-base suggest/recommend tl-fonts-recommended?

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 19:16 +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> wrote:
>
> > On Mit, 13 Dez 2006, Frank Küster wrote:
> >> Yes, I think that installing texlive-latex-base should give you
> >> everything that is "required" by LaTeX - and psnfss is one of these
> >
> > Hmm, then it would be better to move all the "required" stuff into
> > texlive-latex-base at all.

I don't think so. The actual font files in tl-fonts-recommended are, eg,
also used by context. It would not be good if context depended on
tl-latex-base.

> > In fact this should have been done upstream too.
> >
> > Frank: What do we do, do we try to fix this in upstream before release
> > of the next TeX Live? Do we have an idea how many/what things are NOT in
> > texlive-base but are required from latex?
>
> Last question first:  yes.  The list of "required" things in teTeX is
> available in
>
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-tex/tetex-base/branches/new-splitting/debian/tetex-base.install?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

IMO the definition of "required" is tricky here. For tetex's simple
base/extra the above list is right. For texlive's more fine-grained
splitting a closer look might be appropriate. From my point of view
PSNFSS comes in three parts:

1. LaTeX style and font-definition files as well as map files from
   CTAN:/macros/latex/required/psnfss/.

2. TeX font metric and virtual font files from lw35nfss.zip and
   freenfss.zip (somewhere below CTAN:/fonts/).

3. The actual font files from various places below CTAN:/fonts/.

The files from 1. are part of tl-latex-base (with the possible exception
of mathpazo, which probably should be here, too). The files from 2. and
3. are part of tl-fonts-recommended. AFAIK 2. and 3. are tight together
by texlive's (upstream) build system.

IMO the files from 1. are those that are "strictly required". However,
the files from 2. are necessary to actually use the files from 1. And
the files from 3. are necessary for producing PDF or PS files when using
the files from 1. But since the files from 3. are used by others, too,
they should not go into tl-latex-base.

Overall, I would not change texlive's splitting [1] but only add some
connection between tl-latex-base and tl-fonts-recommended. However, IMO
a Depends: would be to much. Especially for buildds but also for users
who know what they are doing it does not hurt to make it possible to
install LaTeX without the LW35 fonts. The avarage user, though, should
also get tl-fonts-recommended on installation of tl-latex-base. Hence my
question about a Recommends: or Suggests:. Rethink this, I would suggest
(or recommned ;-) a Recommends:.

I can also try to ask Walter Schmidt about this, though I would have to
explain the various dependency levels in Debian ...

cheerio
ralf

[1] There is one oddity, though. IIRC the map files are in tl-latex-base
    while the fonts and metrics are in tl-fonts-recommended. This is no
    problem for context that comes with a separate set of map files,
    but, eg, plain TeX users either have to write their own map files of
    install tl-latex-base.