Re: The hated xmltex/jadetex games in combination with new tex-common

Hi Frank!

On Mit, 23 Aug 2006, Frank Küster wrote:
> - there are at least two bugs, one in jadetex and one in
> tex-common/TeXlive-Upstream.

Ahh...

> which it shouldn't. The problem is that jadetex is based on latex, but
> progname is jadetex:
>
> frank@sid:~$ kpsewhich -progname=latex fonttext.cfg
> /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/base/fonttext.cfg
> frank@sid:~$ kpsewhich -progname=jadetex fonttext.cfg
> /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/cslatex/base/fonttext.cfg

Bingo.

> -TEXINPUTS.jadetex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{jadetex,plain,generic,}//
> +TEXINPUTS.jadetex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{jadetex,latex,plain,generic,}//
>
> (this is the bug in jadetex).  The other bug is in tex-common: It has
> entries for the TEXINPUTS paths for the formats that are in separate
> packages:
>
> $ grep jadetex /etc/texmf/texmf.d/{1,4}5*
> /etc/texmf/texmf.d/15Plain.cnf:TEXINPUTS.jadetex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{jadetex,plain,generic,}//
> /etc/texmf/texmf.d/45TeXinputs.cnf:TEXINPUTS.pdfjadetex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{jadetex,plain,generic,}//

What about removing them??? Wouldn't this be the ideal/normal/default
solution?

> Furthermore, the jadetex package should drop the pdftex toplevel
> directory, since it is never used.

Done.

All the changes are in jadetex 3.13-6.2 which can be found at the usual
position
	deb-(src) http://www.tug.org/texlive/Debian/ check/
all lintian/linda clean.

The changelog:
jadetex (3.13-6.2) unstable; urgency=low

  * NMU
  * change fmtutil line to not load the latex format, but put the loading of
    latex.ini into jadetex.ini and pdfjadetex.ini
  * add alternative dependencies on texlive
  * switch to dh_installtex
  * remove fmt generation code in postinst
  * remove prerm file as this is done by dh_installtex
  * add latex in the search path
  * bump standards version to 3.7.2, no changes necessary
  * move debhelper from build-deps-indep to build-deps
  * drop useless pdftex path component from TEXINPUTS.jadetex

 -- Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>  Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:20:00 +0200

I know I have again done quite a lot of restructuring, but I thought
this is the easiest way to get compliance with the TeX policy.

I attach a diff between unpacked 3.13-6 and 3.13-6.2.

What do we do with this? Should we ask the maintainer whether he
approves the NMU, or should I send him the stuff (as for pgf) and hope
he is doing this?

> 2c::/tmp/buildd/texlive-bin-2005.dfsg.1/build/inst/texmf/web2c:/tmp/buildd/texlive-bin-2005.dfsg.1/build/inst/texmf/web2

How to change this? I don't necessarily want to dig into the
configure.in/Makefile.in hell....

> It looks very wrong to me that the build directory is in the search path.

How did you solve this in tetex?

Best wishes

Norbert

You're bound to be unhappy if you optimize everything.
 			--- Donald E. Knuth