Re: new lmodern package

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:

> Also, a few minor comments about debian/copyright:
>
>   - You chose to include the GUST Font Source License in
>     debian/copyright. This is OK, but I think it would cause less work
>     for future upstream releases to install the
>     doc/fonts/lm/GUST-FONT-SOURCE-LICENSE.txt file provided by upstream
>     into /usr/share/doc/lmodern and simply point to this file from
>     debian/copyright. That way, you don't have to check every time there
>     is a new upstream release that GUST-FONT-SOURCE-LICENSE.txt didn't
>     change in the meantime.

I don't know whether ths is policy compliant - instead I think the
license text *must* be in the copyright file.  I suggest to rename the
copyright file to copyright.Debian and generate the copyright file in
debian/rules by

cat debian/copyright.Debian doc/fonts/lm/GUST-FONT-SOURCE-LICENSE.txt > debian/copyright

>   - I see no other reference to the GNU GPL than the following two lines
>     in debian/copyright:
>
>     On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be
>     found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL'.
>
>     therefore I think they should be dropped now.

What licensing do we choose for the Debian packaging part?  Even if we
think that it's currently not original enough to be copyrightable, we
should decide on this now.  Especially if we're going to suggest lmodern
as the reference implementation of a TeX font package.

Debian Developer (teTeX)