Re: new lmodern package

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 18:27 +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>
> > Has there been a decision whether we provide the links in the package
> > now and remove them only in etch+1, or if we only provide infrastructure
> > for fixing this now?
>
> I would vote for providing links now and for etch, and remove them only
> after etch.  It doesn't hurt to have the infrastructure for fixing in
> the source package now (especially since now you exactly know what needs
> to be done), but I wouldn't install it.

That's ok with me. Especially since I have meanwhile found out that my
idea of using texlive-context together with tetex-{base,bin} doesn't
work that easily: texlive-context provides /usr/bin/texexec, which is
also part of tetex-bin. Oh well ...

The last version of the lmodern package (0.99.3-1 from Feb 8) has passed
all my tests. The main thing that's missing now is an extended
NEWS.Debian. How about the following:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
The designers of the Latin Modern fonts have changed the names of
several font metric files. The LaTeX support for these fonts has been
updated accordingly. However, this name change breaks the ConTeXt
support for these fonts. In addition, DVI files created with a previous
version of the fonts no longer work.

As a temporary work around, this version of the lmodern package installs
links and an additonal font map file, reenabling the former names of
font metric files. Please note that these links will be removed for
etch+1.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

As for the infrastructure, the (not enabled) map file cork-lm.map, a bit
of documentation for README.Debian and a shell script like

###############################
#!/bin/sh
# adjust this as needed
TEXMF=/usr/local/share/texmf

fonts="lmr17 lmr5 lmr6 lmr7 lmr8 lmr9 lmri10 lmri12 lmri7 lmri8 lmri9 lmro10 lmro12 lmro8 lmro9 lmss10 lmss12 lmss17 lmss8 lmss9 lmssbo10 lmssbx10 lmssdc10 lmssdo10 lmsso10 lmsso12 lmsso17 lmsso8 lmsso9 lmssq8 lmssqbo8 lmssqbx8 lmssqo8 lmtcsc10 lmtt10 lmtt12 lmtt8 lmtt9 lmtti10 lmtto10 lmvtt10 lmvtto10"

mkdir -p $TEXMF/fonts/enc/dvips/lm
cd $TEXMF/fonts/enc/dvips/lm
ln -s lm-ec.enc cork-lm.enc

mkdir -p $TEXMF/fonts/tfm/public/lm